Thursday, April 17, 2008

"The Social Networking Highway...Know When to Stop, Go and Yield!"

I came across this great article on one of my favorite blogs Marketing.FM called "Social Media Spring Cleanup". It reminds us that with the proliferation of all the new social networking sites, we need to think about how many usernames and passwords we have all over this wonderful superhighway.

Part of the article has a link to Mashable which just posted an a list of over 350+ social networking links...see it here.

At some point, there will be a service that integrates your Myspace, Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter etc. services onto 1 central page. Maybe it'll even have a universal password.

I think about how many invites a day I get to different social networking sites...it's pretty overwhelming trying to keep track of them all on top of my online banking, earthlink homepage and email account information.

Until we can get these portals organized, it appears that my online life is becoming just as complicated as my personal life....mmmm...I thought technology was supposed to make life easier all this time!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Who would have ever thought that we would become overwhelmed with online "friends"?? I have had to limit myself to LinkedIn and Facebook. I figure until I become a master at both of these social networking sites, I probably don't need to "twitter" and MySpace and Xing, etc. I just posted something similar on my blog www.AlternatveMarketing101Blog.com not too long ago -- so it appears we are all on the same page -- the universal login sounds like the key, someone needs to get to work!

mfish said...

I couldn't agree more...like I said...life is getting waaay to complicated.

Unknown said...

OPEn ID and spock are two tools heading in this direction.

I now just make new profiles just simple enough to link them to my cellecast profile and my facebook profile