Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"WOM - What We Can Learn From Organized..."


I had an interesting experience this past Sunday morning. While doing my morning rituals of 'waking up' and 'making coffee', the door bell rang. When I opened it up, there were 2 guys who claim to be messengers of religion.

Now mind you it's 11am and most people would still be a church on a Sunday, but these 2 found it a compelling time to knock...a 'cold call' for religion if you will!

It got me thinking about Word-Of-Mouth marketing (see the tenets of WOM by clicking the link).

Clearly one of the biggest 'buzz words' of the last couple of years. Organized religion has always been about 'word of mouth' marketing!

Unfortunately for these 2, I was not the right target for them...however upon rejection did they did offer this consoling fact, "if you ever need help...call us...I thought to myself...wow..."salvation" at my front door!

In a way it was refresing, the only thing these word-of-mouth marketers were pitching was religion. No candy bars, no girl scout cookies, no fruit, no rubber bracelets.

The real issue here is this: one of the key tenets of WOM is "don't force the issue"...perhaps if these guys had done some targeting before they started their canvassing, they'd have a better 'conversion rate' if you know what I mean!

No comments: