Friday, March 21, 2008

How Social Is Your Social Network?


I've been spending a tremendous amount of time on Facebook lately. While I've used MySpace, I've always found the servers to be so S-L-O-W that my vice of being impatient always takes over.


While Facebook can be intimidating for first time users, there is no doubt that once you master it...it becomes more fun.

AdAge ran a great article on March 17th called "What Is Marketers' Biggest Challenge When It Comes To Social Networks?".

There seems to be a bit of turmoil in the advertising community among the 'mucky mucks' as to how effective social network marketing is and how you evaluate the ROI. What I find most interesting about all these articles is that they offer the opinions of experts who are so far out of the age range of the 'real' social networker.

I really think it would be great the next time there's a digital media conference, that the moderator invite a group of 12 to 24 year olds to be the panelists...to really evaluate what they're looking for in a brand and how it translates to their social network online and offline!

There is no doubt that if I had more time...I'd be on Facebook more...maybe even take some time to build a Secondlife profile, but i'm actually trying to spend more time with my 'real' social network these days than my online one.

If Facebook has done anything for me personally, it has made me realize the importance of all the people in my life who have had a profound influence on my thinking. That to me is the real 'social network'!

No comments: