Saturday, March 8, 2008

"Welcome To The New Renaissance"

Several Months ago I started a usergroup on Facebook called "Media 3.0". I wanted to be able to share with friends and collegues articles on new media marketing and how to make money.

If you search for it you'll find all kinds of great articles on how to market in a recession, grow your business through social networking, information on internet radio and the music business.

Just this past week, I became a casualty of the 'great economic downturn of 2008'. I'm not upset about it, in fact it's quite liberating.

Thousands of smart people are on the loose. This is the beginning of a new renaissance in thinking. The only sector of employment in media over the last quarter has been in consulting.

Having worked in the media business now for over 20 years. I'm pretty sure I know what engages people. As the economy slows and people are let go, this will allow for exponential growth in independent thinking...hence the renaissance.

I'm very excited about the future. I've always "bet" on myself. Now more than ever I believe this is the time for really smart people to band together to become the new 'corporate' america.

Join me...it's an exciting time.

Thoughts?

7 comments:

ipeach411 said...

Here, Here!

Anonymous said...

As you once observed a few years back, it's important to be able to reinvent yourself from time to time. We do get comfortable in our routines, and often the impetus for change and growth comes from without instead of being driven from within. I'm giving myself a little time to mourn the passing and recover from the shock. But I can feel the stirrings of excitement inside of me, too, as I set out on a new journey with new people to meet, new things to accomplish, new insights to discover.

Let the adventure begin.

Bob Taylor said...

Michael, you are always right on point.

Here's my position:

When you are hired for a job, you are a temporary solution to a temporary "problem".

I too was brought out of my contract from Clear Channel last week. My two stations were at the top in ratings and revenue, that doesn't mattter in the new model. The problem I was hired to solve, was solved, they wanted ratings and revenue, they got it, my job was done.

That's the past. It worked, it's over and we parted as friends.

During my tenure, I made it clear that I'm the CEO of Bob Inc. You too are the CEO of You Inc. as well. And as CEO you need to find new opportunintes for your brand.

Forget the pensions, jobs for life, and looking for benefits at the next gig. The next gig is a series of small gigs.

Those who can do this will win, those who don't will be sitting at home until the money runs out, calling their friends and talking about the good old days and/or how they were screwed over.

If you are A+ in our C+ business, you will often be misunderstood, and not be the most popular person in the room (the smart kid in the class is not usually liked), but you will be on top and will always win.

Team with the smartest people you can find.

Michael, you are smart, you need to team with smart people. I'm here for you and ready to do great things with you NOW and any other smart people who are reading this.

The future is now.

I'm ready. Who else is?

Anonymous said...

What a great attitude, Michael! Between that and your expertise, I have no doubt that you'll be contributing to the renaissance--and getting paid for it!--in the coming years.

Anonymous said...

Somewhat accidentally, I attended a forum on grief counseling yesterday. At its essence, it was about accepting change. Throughout the session, I couldn't help but think about the media landscape. It's natural to feel some sadness about rapid changes, but I also share your excitement about the future, Michael.

Anonymous said...

Michael,

Congrats, kudos, bravos, cheers!

Welcome to the conversation.

All the best,

Anonymous said...

Michael--

Life is an adventure--whether we choose it to be--or not. You have been a breath of fresh air in that department...always willing to try something new.

I look forward to reading more of your stuff Michael, because you always make me think.

Good luck my friend.